About Us (From the Past)
The Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing public interest in the heritage of Port Tobacco and Southern Maryland. The Society was established in 1948 and its efforts continue to be accomplished through the collection and preservation of related historical documents and artifacts. Ongoing research will be conducted into the customs and skills of town settlers and past residents. Early buildings and sections of the town will be restored or reconstructed for appropriate uses including: exhibiting materials, educational use and appropriate civic events.
The education and special events programs at Port Tobacco provide citizens and visitors a glimpse of Charles County history and its significance locally, regionally and nationally. The Port Tobacco Courthouse is also one of the few historic sites in Charles County that are available for special event rental.
Accomplishments in 2007
Over the last year, the SRPT has undertaken the restoration of Burch House, supported a comprehensive archaeological survey of the historic district, hosted an Archaeological Society of Maryland Volunteer Weekend and held a very successful Christmas Open House. The Port Tobacco Courthouse is also the site of the annual Civista Wine Festival.
Goals for 2008
Over the next year the SRPT hopes to complete the Restoration of Burch House (grant funded), to develop interpretive signage throughout the village (grant funded), and to continue to support thePort Tobacco Archaeological Project. In addition, Port Tobacco will be the site of several special events (details to be posted soon). We hope to build on this success by increasing membership and participation in the organization.
Annual dues are $10 for an individual, $15 for a couple and can be sent to:
Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco
PO Box 302
Port Tobacco, MD 20677
Volunteers help to staff the Port Tobacco Courthouse, providing tours to visitors and assisting with research. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please contact us.
The Museum, while going through constant re-arrangement and addition, depicts the early years of Port Tobacco and Charles County. Pictures and brief descriptions of homes show the architectural trends from the 1600s through the 1800s. Pictures also show the village of Port Tobacco from about 1895 through 1935; from shortly after the fire in 1892 to the village in decay. The restored and preserved buildings of Port Tobacco add to our county’s wealth of continuing history.
Museum hours are currently noon to 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays, by appointment. Reservations for tours are accepted, and are required for large groups to ensure docent availability.
Accessibility: The Courthouse is partially handicap accessible and the restrooms are not handicap accessible. Portable ramps can be put down for wheelchairs, but we cannot provide assistance in lifting a chair up any stairs.